Just yesterday I stumbled across what I thought must be ‘click bait’ when I saw a link on Facebook claiming there was a carb-free gluten-free bread alternative…
Upon opening the link, I discovered IT’S TRUE. Well, it appears to be anyway. So of course I MUST try it. I adore bread but my stomach doesn’t agree with the gluten so if I can pull this off I will be amazed! A quick scan of Pinterest bought up a range of pictures, and you’ll probably agree they look amazing with sweet or savoury versions!
So, they’re carb and gluten free as I mentioned so great if like me, your stomach doesn’t really agree with gluten or you’re on a low carb diet. However, they do contain more fat due to the cream cheese (I’ll tell you the full ingredients further down) but fats aren’t the enemy so don’t be too concerned about this. Also, they lack fibre but that’s not a problem as long as your overall diet is balanced.
What you’ll need:
- 4 eggs
- 3tbspns cream cheese
- Half tsp sweetener
- 1tspn bicarbonate of soda
- Any seasoning you wish (I used garlic powder and dried rosemary)
Simple as that.
- Pre-heat oven to 140•
- Line trays with parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites and yolks and put in two separate bowls.
- To the yolks, add the cream cheese, sweetener and bicarbonate and mix until smooth. (I also added the garlic powder)
- Whisk the egg whites until they create stiff peaks.
- Fold the yolk/cheese mixture into the whites gently.
- Spoon the mixture into discs on the parchment paper lined trays.
- Sprinkle with rosemary if desired.
- Pop in the oven for 15 minutes, check, leave for longer if necessary until golden brown. (Mine took around 25 minutes)
- Gently peel from the parchment paper and cool on a rack.
Ta daaaaa! I had been really sceptical but they turned out well. They have a slightly eggy taste to them and a soft inside. Try adding some chicken and rocket for a light version of a sandwich! Let me know in the comments if you have/do try this!